October 15, 2020
We’re excited to announce the start of construction on the revitalization of the Seaport World Trade Center on Commonwealth Pier.
Commonwealth Pier will create a vibrant, multi-use waterfront destination for Boston. The revitalization will introduce numerous exciting ways to reconnect with, explore and further celebrate the waterfront, with new public spaces, an enhanced Harborwalk, new retail and first-class Seaport Hotel event and meeting spaces, as well as a unique, flexible workplace to be leased entirely by Fidelity Investments.
Edward Johnson, IV, President of Pembroke commented: “We are thrilled to start construction and begin to realize our vision for the new Commonwealth Pier, a project that furthers Pembroke and Fidelity’s vision for, and commitment to, Boston’s Seaport District. The revitalization will reconnect this iconic building to the harbor and the neighborhood by creating a unique waterfront experience with relevant, diverse public amenities and retail, a new public plaza, improved accessibility, and enhanced site resiliency.”
We are is physically carving out new spaces throughout the pier to create opportunities to engage with the waterfront through new dining and retail offerings, event spaces, an enhanced Harborwalk, and a new, inviting waterfront public plaza. At the same time, the revitalization’s design embraces and celebrates the pier’s heritage, while incorporating advanced resiliency and sustainability measures to ensure its continued viability.
Suzanne Heidelberger, Head of Fidelity Corporate Real Estate, commented: “The Commonwealth Pier revitalization will create innovative and collaborative office spaces for our associates that will be aligned with how Fidelity is looking at and adapting to the future of how we more efficiently and effectively work together. By enhancing the workplace experience, we look forward to seeing our associates share ideas and collaborate more seamlessly to the ultimate benefit of Fidelity’s customers.”
Community Benefits Highlights:
- A 25,000 sq ft open-air public Harbor Plaza with landscaping, seating and programming that will accommodate outdoor events and year-round activities
- Significantly improved public access to the waterfront with apron expansions and an updated, landscaped Harborwalk featuring five programmed niche spaces cut out of the building’s perimeter, as well as new seating, lighting and cultural signage
- 45,000 sq ft of retail within a new street front retail arcade in the iconic Headhouse, part of an enhanced pedestrian experience along Seaport Boulevard with the removal of the existing loading docks, widened sidewalks and new curb-side drop off zones
- A public terrace on the upper level of the Headhouse providing outdoor dining and a unique viewpoint over the neighborhood and the City
- Entirely new Seaport Hotel ballroom and event facilities featuring first-class indoor and outdoor spaces both within and adjacent to the revitalized Headhouse
- Preserved and protected maritime uses and improved water transportation facilities, including increased berthing areas, expanded ticketing and queuing areas, and new covered waiting areas
- The addition of dock space for a future water shuttle stop on Commonwealth Pier, further expanding the Pier’s role as a maritime transportation hub
- Support for the City of Boston’s resiliency objectives by incorporating building and site climate change adaptation strategies and improvements
- Advanced sustainability measures that target LEED Version 4 Gold Certification
As one of the original developments in the now thriving Seaport District, Commonwealth Pier will respect its historic origins and mercantile waterfront roots, while breathing new life into an important and unique architectural resource. The revitalization of Commonwealth Pier will enhance, complement and enrich the neighborhood and the greater Boston area, and introduce a waterfront experience for future generations to enjoy.
Lisa Wieland, Massport CEO commented: “Today’s milestone builds on Fidelity’s long history in the Seaport. With foresight and leadership, early on they made a long-term investment in Commonwealth Pier, built the Seaport Hotel and the two office buildings – and in doing so – helped spark the renaissance of the district. Massport is proud of our long partnership with Fidelity and Pembroke and we are thrilled about the modernization of Commonwealth Pier. Congratulations again on this terrific project.”
Construction of Commonwealth Pier is expected to complete in 2024. Turner Construction Company and JANEY Construction Management are providing construction management services. Their joint selection was based on Turner’s capabilities and considerable experience in the Seaport District along with JANEY’s extensive construction experience coupled with its ability to diversify workforces and create opportunities for women and minority business enterprises which will be tremendous assets as we transform the Commonwealth Pier into a new destination benefitting the community, businesses and people working in the Seaport. Further details will be shared as development progresses.